Friday, November 21, 2008

Volunteer Leader Profile: Ellie Gilbert

Knit for Newborns is a group of Hands On volunteers who come together once a month to knit blankets and clothing for newborns and premature babies, to be donated to the natal and prenatal wards at Virginia Garcia and Emanuel hospitals. Ellie Gilbert, Knit for Newborns Volunteer Leader, told us why she started working with Hands On and what this volunteer project means to her.

“I got involved with Hands On Portland because I needed to find a way to give back, have fun and feel good without spending money or having to commit tons of time. I have a demanding job but wanted an outlet beyond work that would benefit someone else. Hands On allows me that flexibility of time and fits into my already busy schedule."

“This project has brought so much fulfillment into my life already. I enjoy leading this group, helping them get excited about the difference we are making to moms and dads with their first child or a child who is in the hospital. I feel most passionately about providing for the premies and children who are ill or dying. Families go through so much during these times. Having something homemade that someone took the time to craft can mean a lot, especially if the family doesn't have much."

"What I carry away is the sense of our group accomplishment (aside from the fact that what we produce fills the entire backseat of my car). Our group feels really good about what we make and even better to think that we can brighten someone else's day and make a hard situation just a little bit better.”

No comments: