Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Volunteer Leader Profile: Lisa Nelson

1. What was your experience with volunteering prior to Hands On Greater Portland?
I volunteered with my family starting when I was about 5 doing all kinds of different things to help different causes. I was raised to believe service was important and have volunteered throughout my lifetime. Since I've been in Portland I have volunteered with Doernbecher Children's Hospital, Junior Achievement, and several elementary schools (as Classroom aid, reading buddy).

2. How did you get involved with Hands On Greater Portland?
When my husband Shepley and I moved to Portland we were wanting to meet people outside of work so we joined TeamWorks through Hands On Greater Portland. That was a great beginning!

3. What has motivated you to spend your free time helping develop family-friendly volunteer programs?
As parents of 2 kids (ages 6 & 3), we want to pass on the value of helping others to my kids. I believe volunteering has to be fun for both parents and kids to make it a valuable experience the whole family will want to do again and again. I believe there are A LOT of people in Portland that feel the same. I want to help the Family Volunteer program be a great success by creating truly family friendly experiences throughout the family program (great projects, age appropriate education, easy to navigate online, etc.) AND reaching out to families about the great opportunities Hands On Greater Portland provides.

4. How has your experience changed you?

It has given me faith that there are A LOT of families like ours in Portland that want to share the value of helping others with our kids. And that want to make it a fun experience for kids & adults by volunteering with other families with children of similar ages.

5. What's your favorite cause?
There are so many amazing causes out there. That's why I love Hands On Greater Portland, I don't have to choose one. We can volunteer our time to help with a seemingly limitless number that are of interest to me and my family.

6. What has been your favorite Hands On volunteer experience, and why?
TeamWorks. Shepley and I had a great experience - met some great people and had a lot of fun. It is something unique and valuable that Hands On Greater Portland provides - creating community while volunteering to help others.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so inspired from reading this. I have twin boys almost 5 and I desperately want to start getting them involved in community service, but have found it difficult identifying the appropriate venue for their age as well as the value/impact we can have.

Thanks so much for re-igniting my desire and not giving up hope that there is opportunity out there just waiting for us!

Single Mom of Twin Boys, Portland, OR

Anonymous said...

My kids and I have attended two workshops coordinated by Lisa and they were fantastic. The projects gave me an opening to talk to the kids about helping others and to open their eyes to society beyond their immediate surroundings. I'm looking forward to more events for parents with younger children. Thanks, Lisa!